CHARLESTON, W.Va. — United States Attorney Mike Stuart has reacted to the allegations from a former patient at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Raleigh County towards a former member of the hospital’s medical staff of sexual assault.
“My office has been made aware of the sexual assault allegations at the Beckley VAMC,” he said in a released statement. “My office takes these allegations very seriously and is working closely with federal, state and local law enforcement agencies to ensure this matter is investigated thoroughly and quickly.”
The unnamed patient told WVVA Television earlier this week he was among more than a dozen patients assaulted by a physician, who has not been identified.
In response to an inquiry about the allegations, a spokesperson at the Beckley VAMC issued the following statement to MetroNews Monday:
“The VA condemns such behavior in the strongest possible terms and will not tolerate it. The individual is no longer employed by the VA.”
According to the Beckley VAMC, the matter has been referred to the Office of the Inspector General for review.